SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just for kicks and grins...
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Just for kicks and grins...

I'll post up what I normally do after each race, to try and learn from my mistakes. I jack my handheld Garmin into OpenCPN and overlay the track onto a chart, with the race marks on it.

My crew is very new, so I draw lots of pretty colored arrows and give them a run-down of "the good, the bad and the ugly". I can usually trace certain "wiggles" in my track to a particular event or problem that happened during the race, and I'll point it out to them. They all say that they find it to be very beneficial to have a graphic as a frame of reference.

To forestall certain unnecessary comments, let me say that I'm fully aware that my tacks are bad, and greater than 90 degrees. The boat doesn't point well in a very faint breeze, overloaded with 8 crew. I also chose a jib that was too small, because the breeze started out gusting to the 20's, but promptly faded out. I should have manned up and used the #1. With 8 bodies, the boat would sail on her feet, all the way up to 18 knots for sure.

Legend: Blue is wind, red is "outbound" leg, and green is "inbound" or return leg.

Note: My club has no boats. We don't set a "square" line. We have a committee stand and a bouy out in the water, that marks the line, so the starting line is permanently fixed. The start is "Joker's Wild", might be upwind, downwind, beam reach, who knows?

1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook