SailNet Community - View Single Post - What class is my PHRF boat? A,B,C
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Re: What class is my PHRF boat? A,B,C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
I wiill spend all summer getting use to the C&C30. How well she does in light air, How close she will pont on her own, Her weather helm and so on. I guess 5 man team? ...
You can race in cruising class (no spinnaker) with just two people on the boat, a good way to get some experience. Four knowledgeable people is all that's needed to spinnaker class, although 5-6 can make it easier on all.

The C&C 30 Mark I is not a light air boat, although it can be sailed to its rating in light air, it is just not in its element in less than 10 knots of breeze. As the breeze grows the boat goes to level I considered quite exceptional...its very apparent why the 30 is considered the stiffest boat every made by C&C. She just rocks in stronger winds, the challenge in winds over 15 is not to beat our class, that's a given, the challenge is to see how many of the "faster" boats in the class that started 10 minutes earlier, you can beat boat-for-boat. In these circumstances, with enough breeze and distance, we would occasionally beat them all.

The boat can balance very well in any breeze, as the wind gets over 20 just be sure to go with a 100% jib, trimmed inboard (all jibs need to trim inboard).

Last edited by sailingfool; 06-30-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook