SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012

youmeandthed is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Agreed that standards of living are going down, BUt I can afford a way better life here in Panama and can scratch by with some work online.

I'm thinking it has a lot to do with inflated expectations for a higher than deserved standard of living, hence people who are almost thirty living with their parents, growing up in a zero failure world (which is not a good way to encourage hard work), and the expectation that the world owes them something (careers, high standards of living, education)

It really isn't a financial thing (I've been on both sides of the fence: student debt, long term unemployment, lacked a real job) and cruising, you have no money either way.

AMEX came out with a survey showing that young people spend tons of money on travel and luxury goods. It must be a mental thing. The ocean is pretty intimidating, not big snowboard jump intimidating, but kill you if it decides to intimidating. I'm guessing backpacking and all-inclusives are just easier to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook