SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
"The baby boomers had the world given to them on a plate so they took advantage. "
"College debt...
Last generation graduated with virtually none...this generation has a too much. "

I guess I must have been standing in the wrong line, didn't even get the plate... and apart from a few trust fund types, every boomer I know has worked their a$$es off their whole life.
Apparently there are a lot of recent college graduates that are just starting to realize that college loans need to be repaid, and with the job market so bad I'm sure this is somewhat of a contributing factor, how much I don't know.
My wife & I were in that same line.

College debt is WAY more than it was for us though. AFAIAC far too many people go to University these days - a degree has been rendered far less valuable and meaningful through this process - a bachelors degree is the new high school diploma and far too many of them are never used in any meaningful way. They are merely a very expensive entry on a resume.

University should be for scholars and academics, not "everyman" job training - it does a very poor job of that in most cases. Why should a car sales rep need a Bcomm degree? A Ba to be a realtor?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook