SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012

youmeandthed is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Funny thing is, my wife and I had such a hard time finding a career, working bad part time jobs that we decided to give it up and go sailing. We had no money then and we have no money now. We enjoy life 1000 times more now, and our peers are misserable and struggling to pay rents and live an unsustainable lifestyle of drinking and eating out, paying for ski lift tickets or boat rentals. They spend all their money on things that they never own or get to keep the utility of, and work to pay for it.

Debt is an issue, when it goes towards something that doesn't have a payout, like university right now.

The boomers I know who were cruising when they were in their twenties had nothing either...not many people in their earlier years have had anything in any generation, you work for it.

Quote:
That's true but you are also locked in to moorage, insurance, haulouts etc. etc.

Without secure, well paid employment, it's a commitment few are willing to make.
This is completely wrong: no one insures a $2500 boat, you live off the hook, and you use tidal grids or tracks once every 4 years to do the bottom, the rest of the time you dive on it.

I do agree with people being brain washed into thinking a 35ft boat is entry level

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook