SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
im 16 i love sailing i can't wait till i can start cruise just got a bigger boat i know i can't afford to do every thing at one time thats why i just take it slow and soon enought i will be cruising.
I love this kid. He sounds like I did at his age.

I agree with the other posters who said that the number of young people opting for the cruising lifestyle is not on the decline because there were never that many anyway. I grew up at the beach and worked at a number of marinas and only ever knew of one guy who lived on his boat, and that was only for the summer. I think that it seemed like there was a lot of sailboat activity in the 70's and 80's because fiberglass brought prices down to an affordable range. But I will venture to say that there are many more people living aboard today than ever before because of all those used boats that are now real affordable.

As for young people being lazy and unmotivated, I don't believe it, haven't seen it, and don't think that it's true. That statement has been quoted by every older generation about every younger generation since the dawn of time. What's different, is us - we're experiencing adulthood for the first time and have forgotten how irresponsible we once were. I certainly was

As a kid in the 70's, very much like smallboatlover, I would wander the docks and look at the 30', 35', 40' boats and wonder how anyone could ever afford one. I would also marvel that no one ever used them except for weekends. I thought that they were stupid. Then I grew up and realized that they were out working to afford their lifestyle... just like I do today.

Not that much has changed. Only us. The rest is just noise.