SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tiller conversion to wheel
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012
Happy to be here

Justapersona is on a distinguished road
Re: Tiller conversion to wheel

I'm in a Catalina22, eyeing boats in the 24-26 ft range. (You know, jumping from a 2400 lb boat to 5000 lbs.) We're on a reservoir, here in Colorado, but maybe to take with us when we move back to near the sea. This is all part of a plan to ramp up slowly (teaching myself), cruise, and live aboard.

The wheel - yes, that seems like what real boats have, right? The S2 26ft (8.0, '78-'83) has my eye these days; many don't have wheels, and I've been wondering about that - adding one. So thanks for this post, Islander11.

But, I also keep thinking about Lyn and Larry Pardey -- you know, the high priests of really doing it (or something).

There he is... with a tiller in his hand? No wheel?!?

CalebD - so you're saying Larry isn't just crazy after all these years? :-)

I also just got a Tiller Tamer. Haven't mounted it yet, but it will surely work better than my dock line method.

Do you "Tiller People" go the extra mile, and get things like those piston-like auto-pilots and such things?

I do miss feeling the wind in the sails - really feeling it - the way I could in my Coronado 15 with it's centerboard and 360 lbs total weight. The tiller and tiller extension were like dental tools (compared to my C22, now). I can really see what you guys are talking about with wanting to maintain that sense of it.
Catalina 22 #15,174 & Coronado 15 #2271, Denver
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook