SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

No instant gratification in sailing or cruising, takes lots of work! Younger folks in general want entertainment now! I am not buying into the whole money thing being the cause. I didn't have any money when i started sailing and still don't today 25yrs later, I am 37 now. From what I am reading sailing was a big part of american culture back in the 50's, 60's and 70s. Many young people were subjected to it back then and got a passion for it. I was fortunate enough to grow up in New England. My family loved the water although we did not own a boat. My grandparents had a 16ft daysailor, I sailed it every chance i got! I guess I was lucky enough to be subjected to it early in life. Todays younger generation just dont get the exposure to it as previous generations.

Sailing doesnt take alot of money, keeping up with the jones does! the perception is that sailing is a rich mans sport. Anyone pick up the lastest issue of Sail magazine? Not everyone needs or can afford a 40ft boat, a shiny new chartplotter, and powerful inboard, but many will have you thinking that. I have about $7500 total in my Alberg and would not trade it for anything. Many people today are mocked for taking the path less chosen. I sailed an old beat up wooden 19ft sharpie for many years without an engine, just because its all i had and was free. no one ever discouraged me, 25yrs later however leaving the dock in an Alberg 30 with an outboard is absurd by todays keeping up with the Jones mentality! I say sail what you got and have fun no matter what age you or your boat is!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!

Last edited by Cruiser2B; 07-01-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook