Old 07-01-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Tiller conversion to wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapersona;891250
...snip...

[B
CalebD[/B] - so you're saying Larry isn't just crazy after all these years? :-)

...snip...

Do you "Tiller People" go the extra mile, and get things like those piston-like auto-pilots and such things?

I do miss feeling the wind in the sails - really feeling it - the way I could in my Coronado 15 with it's centerboard and 360 lbs total weight. The tiller and tiller extension were like dental tools (compared to my C22, now). I can really see what you guys are talking about with wanting to maintain that sense of it.
Justa...
I'd love to get a tiller pilot for longer trips but for now I endure the tyranny of the tiller. I can get my Tartan 27' to hold some points of sail reliably by tuning the sail balance and using the center board to adjust the center of effort. I can let the boat sail itself and walk away from the tiller for short periods.

I haven't tried this on my boat yet but there is a trick where you tie the active jib sheet to the tiller and the boat will head upwind in gusts. Try that one with wheel steering.

The feedback from the tiller is the thing I miss most when I sail on my friends 32' wheel equipped boat on the Chesapeake. I find I always have to visualize the rudder angle from the wheel which is not nearly as intuitive as a tiller setup. It is much easier with a wheel to make steering mistakes than with a tiller.

I'm teaching 12 - 16 year olds to sail Sunfish sailboats right now. I'm quite accustomed to telling them: "No, your other left!" when they push the tiller the wrong way. Some of them get it right away, some don't.

Jon Eisberg said what I was thinking but more eloquently.

Larry may still be crazy after all these years. Which Larry?

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook