SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Love threads like this... the old farts bashing the next generation. Didn't you learn this one a while ago? Same old BS, different decade.

Aquaintances under 30 currently circumnavigating in their own boats, 2. Boats owned and sailed a bunch by friends and aquaintances 30 and under? An Etchells, a Merit 25, Moore 24, 2 or 3 Santa Cruz 27's, a Wiley 30, a Cal 34, a Freedom 34, a US 25, an Olson 25 and 30, lasers, thistles, J-24's.

IMHO the younger folks I'm friends with and sail with seem to have their show much more together than most I knew when I was their age and despite the uncertainty and college debt that they're dealing with.

Young folks also have a whole lot more things to choose from than we had in the 60's and 70's. Out here there's cycling, hiking, mountaineering, rock climbing, surfing, etc...Those were hardly on the radar around here 40 years ago.

Last edited by puddinlegs; 07-02-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook