SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012

xantusiidae is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Well, I'm 17 and a kiwi. I love sailing, especially offshore, currently cruising with my fam in the states and the next stop will be solo sailing for me!

There are plenty of us out there, at least I know a good few. A lot lack either the means or the support, or maybe (ha) just the plain old 'think outside the box of everyday life' mentality.
Then there's the others, who have bought their own yacht but things crash and the dream just fizzles out.
There are so many different things I'm sure you've all heard a million times but my point is, we're out there and will sail by you every so often in the years to come.

What I do want to say is give us a chance, if we are interested in something- talk! Even if you think we don't hear you. Some of us share the exact same passion for this life as you do- under out thick adolescent skins

Anyway, that's my piece, not so much opinionated, just raising the 'we're here' flag for ya!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook