SailNet Community - View Single Post - My 1st boat, 1979 22 Catalina, swing keel...need some advice
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: My 1st boat, 1979 22 Catalina, swing keel...need some advice

Sign up for the Yachts and boats for sale - Catalina Yachts association... lots of help, parts, information there.

Like others said, check the pivot/pin/cable. Check the wheel bearings, and replace. check the the shrouds for frays. Then check the chain plates (see if there are lose screws/bolts down below where the shrouds connect)... make sure the mast step is stable. Sails! make sure they don't have tears, and they have all the battens (quick way to trash a main is to raise it with no battens in a blow).

MOTOR? Can't tell by the picture, but seems like a huge NEW motor for the boat. that boat would likely benefit from a 6hp, or 4hp, anything more or less will likely be underkill or overkill/heavy.

gealcoat cracks are nothing... depending on how deep you can wet sand them out, if the hull is dull, that's probably better than just waxing anyway, wet sand, compound, polish, then wax.

Check all the turning blocks, make sure they turn... stupid I know.

Otherwise you have what is arguably one of the most popular starter cruisers on the planet (for good reason). Like others have said, catalinadirect.com is your friend! Every part you can imagine is available for that boat, and reasonably priced, shipped to your door.

Enjoy, and lets see some pictures of her sailing!

PS: A used cat 22 in cared for shape, that age, with trailer and motor, can draw as much as $8000. Mostly because regardless of age, they are tough little boats, and sail as well as the newer ones.