SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need one hand willing to work for travel from Northeast to Southwest
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Re: Need one hand willing to work for travel from Northeast to Southwest

Hey good luck to ya. I am in the middle of a similar trip but the opposite direction, coming from Destin Florida to the Chesapeake. I will throw out a couple of suggestions and you can decide whether there is value or not in them. 1) forget your schedule. The most dangerous thing on a sailboat is a calendar with dates circled on it. You will encounter delays, hopefully they will be short and not expensive but they can go either way. 2- Until late October, as I am sure you know, it is hurricane season. There is weather that you and your boat cannot handle safely that will stop you in your tracks for up to a week at a time if you are fortunate to not be directly in its path. 3- Consider seriously taking the inside route if you are not experienced and if you are on an unfamiliar boat, at least for the northern portion of your trip. Jumping in and out down the Florida coast is pretty easy and fun and by the time you get to the inlet for the ICW to cut across Okeechobee you will know for certain if you want to cut across or round Key West. I went around Key West for several reasons, mainly I wanted to stop there and sight see. 4- weather will dictate your schedule. Did I already mention weather? 5- plan to carry a lot of fuel and water with you and be prepared to motor a lot if you are trying to get to your destination expeditiously.
6- weather.

7- Have fun and enjoy the adventure!

Oh and remember that sh!t happens that you can't predict. I am on a 9 yo old boat that I know quite well, sail frequently, maintain in very good shape, and keep plenty of spare parts aboard and have been shut down for what will be a minimum of 7 days with a sprung knot meter through hull fitting.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook