SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterp14 View Post
I just turned 25 and can not wait to cast off. I live in a small town on the Chesapeake Bay and have been on the water my whole life and about 6 months ago I bought my first sailboat, a 1978 mac 22. Since then I have been sailing it every chance I get, done a few overnight trips, and the more that I am on the boat, the more I just want to keep going and not turn back for the dock. I chose not to get a $20,000 car. I choose not to eat out every other night. I chose not to buy that $40,000 truck. I do not have direct tv. I chose not to get that $170,000 house. I bought a 1989 honda civic for $100 and put several of my own hours of work into it, not too long ago I took it from VA to Keywest. I bought a 1999 pickup. I bought a 700 square foot house that was about to fall down for $20,000 , $20,000 later i have a home that is beautiful and I owe about $30,000 on it now. I work full time and so does my GF. What I am trying to say is I am a young person that chose not to go to college and get that huge debt to work my whole life and have things that will not matter in 20 years. I made my own choices, and didnt do what I thought society thought I should do, and I am a lot more happy than many of the people I know my age, and I have less, not because I have to BUT because I choose to. In 2 more years I plan to buy the cruising boat that I want ( a project boat 30ish foot) and make it what I want, keeping it simple, and living my life, not tied down. and not having to work till I am 70 to pay for my house. I do not make a lot of money BUT i dont have an i pod, smartphone, playstation, 70 in tv, paved driveway, brand new lawnmore, heatpump, direct tv, or a 2005 car that I will have to pay on for 3 more years. what I do have is beautiful sunsets, captain morgan and pepsi, a car that gets me where I want to go, and a house that keeps me dry.
HOW DARE YOU F UP THAT CAPTAIN MORGAN WITH PEPSI!!!! YOU WHERE ON A ROLL TILL YOU SAID THAT. DRINK IT OUT OF THE BOTTLE MAN, MAYBE ICE WHEN YOU FEEL DAINTY, JEEEZ!! But seriously, good job.. Get the word out dude, you are living by example.