SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012

youmeandthed is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

I totally agree that instant gratification has a lot to do with it. It amazes me how people think you're crazy when you say, " I want to leave this career path/house swapping/car leasing lifestyle buy a boat and chill on it somewhere warm."

Right now I'm in a backpacking hotspot in Panama, and I see my peers dropping some serious coin to sleep in a dorm room, surf the internet, and drink their faces off at night. When I tell them I sailed here on a boat, they respond with pretty blank faces.

To me I like hearing about the young sailors at 16 with the dream to go cruising. It is great stuff, it all starts with dreaming, then you achieve it through smart and independent decisions, personal sacrifice and hardwork.

I think our generation has always had cheerleaders supporting them from the sideline. Then all of a sudden when it's a "crazy" idea like living on a boat, no one is cheering anymore and the dream dies.

It's great to look at the min wage in real terms, but also look at boat prices in real terms.. They are cheap.

I think there is something to be said for lack of hands on/practical skills. Not a lot of parents were teaching their kids how to do carpentry or work on motors, they were thrown in front of a tv or computer. But what I don't get is you can always learn skills, and for some reason, unless it is in a school or certificate program, a lot of young people don't bother learning skills.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook