SailNet Community - View Single Post - Philadelphia Area Sailing for a Novice on a 25' SK
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Philadelphia Area Sailing for a Novice on a 25' SK

We wound up getting a slip in Somers Point. For us, that's the closest large-ish body of protected water to where we'll spend our time at the shore. If I didn't expect to be farther south, upon further review, Great Bay (near Atlantic City) is really almost the ideal place to be. Easy access from the AC Expressway, reasonably sized body of protected water, excellent depth (4-5' across most of it, which is great compared to the 0-2' in Great Egg Bay), easy access to the ICW, and an inlet that is well maintained for if/when you're ready to venture into the ocean. It would add about 30 minutes to my drive when we're at my in-laws (making it an hour drive), so I think it's still likely to be out of the question at this time.

As to the Somers Point/Ocean City area, so far, we've been out about 5 times this summer. It's a bit of a pain, because we're in the Western part of the bay and it's shallow back there, so we have to time our sails around the tides rather than just being able to hop aboard and go. But, realistically, it isn't that bad - we just HAVE to watch the clock or we risk running aground. On a positive note, we were out two weekends ago and, had we not decided to cross under the Parkway bridge, we'd probably only have seen 20 boats or so during our entire 2 hour ride. Once we crossed to the other side of the bay, activity increased significantly, but the back part of the bay is pretty quiet, and at high tide plus or minus about 2 hours, there's enough water for us with our less-than-3' draft (with the keel up). NOAA has a great site for judging tidal flows: Beesleys Point*8534975*Tidal Data Daily View

Not that I want to divert traffic from SailNet, but your question about the C250 should also be asked over at Catalina - Capri - 25s International Association. There are a few active members there who keep their Catalinas on the Delaware. Of course, I guess my answer sort of inherently answers your question - the fact that several people are sailing C25's and C250's over there suggests that those boats are fine for that area (at least it would suggest that to me).

Hope this helps!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook