SailNet Community - View Single Post - Good starting boat with some speed, but forgiving while learning as well?
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012

mobiuslogic is on a distinguished road
Re: Good starting boat with some speed, but forgiving while learning as well?

Hi padean. Thanks for the response!

I'm definitely not taking a bunch of friends out, so I was kind of thinking 20 ft maximum length. Seems like a good round number, reasonable length for trailering, and can have a friend or two out on it as well. As for keel or centerboard, a centerboard would certainly be easier it seems as far as trailering.

I've definitely always been a fan of catamarans and trimarans though. The Weta definitely looks pretty sexy, but I was thinking a little cheaper since it'd be my first boat. Lol. It makes sense of course that the faster the boat the less forgiving, and for that I'm certainly not out to find a Top Fuel Dragster for my first boat. For examples those Moths, while awesome with the hydrofoils, would likely be discouraging trying to get up and foil-borne. So certainly not there yet! But I know just for myself if I was out there in a single sail Laser or something similar, I'd feel like I was in an old clunker of a boat. Lol.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook