SailNet Community - View Single Post - Registration Numbers on the Hull?
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: Registration Numbers on the Hull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Tempest, last time I read the NYS laws, which are DMV laws here, there was no requirement for vessels to have any registration at all unless they were in state waters for 90 days. UNlike Foriduh, transients are not required to have registrations from other states. If you can cite me a piece of DMV code that says otherwise, I'd appreciate it. But that would impose a burden on other states to have registration rules, which NY can't impose.

Watercops are still watercops, not Coasties. And cops of any kind are not supposed to interfere with vehicles of any kind absent "reasonable suspicion". If there's a name and hailing port on the stern, there's no reason to suspect anything other than "that's a federally documented vessel" and there's no reason to interfere with one of those.

"Oh, Look, it says "Exxon Valdez" but it doesn't have registration numbers on the bow, let's pull it over!"

Ridiculous, right? All same-same.
NYS DMV - Recreational Transportation Here's the DMV site.

and the NYS parks and Recreation site. http://www.nysparks.com/recreation/b...atersGuide.pdf

NYS can, and has imposed a law, that says you must either be registered in NYS, or..in another state. ( or at least in compliance with the home state's requirements.) A recreationally documented vessel is not exempt from state registration laws..

And that's the vessel. We haven't touched on what the operator may require in order to operate.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook