SailNet Community - View Single Post - destroyed impeller
View Single Post
post #17 of Old 07-03-2012 Thread Starter
CapnRon47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 407
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: destroyed impeller

All,
Just to bring this to closure. I disassembled the heat exchanger, I never did find the last 2 blades of the impeller, so I am assuming they ended up as grit and dust in the original raw water pump. I cleaned the heat exchanger (the best I could, I will try the vinegar at some point), and reassembled with new o-rings, seals and hoses (just because it was time). Opened up the end of the heat exchanger looks like this;


Initially I had a frozen bolt, I used Blaster 16-PB, left it overnight and that did the trick. The engine coolant outflow nozzle was pretty rusted, but still thick enough, so I cleaned it and used Permatex Ultra-Copper as a coating before I put the new hose on it.

After reassembly I ran the engine thru its passes and found no leaks and water flowing fine out the exhaust. This is my first boat so I am learning as I go, it is satisfying to get things back together and have them work the first time. A bit of time (and money) is all it took!

thanks for all the input.
Ron
CapnRon47 is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
 
 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome