SailNet Community - View Single Post - Taking the bull by the horns
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012

GreenHorn is on a distinguished road
Re: Taking the bull by the horns

Let me first start off by apologizing that I did not respond with comments or answers to questions sooner, but have been pretty tied up recently and this is the first time I've gotten back to the forums. Thanks for all the advice thus far. I will do my best to make any clarifications or ask additional questions where necessary.

As I continue my quest to find the right boat, one problem I am encountering is that I do not live anywhere near the majority of the boats I am interested in (of course there are always exceptions) and pictures and descriptions can be deceiving. While the boat inspection tip trips thread is very helpful for what to look for in person, I am hoping to get a list of questions I should be asking boat owners over the phone and/or what areas I should get pictures of before making the 200+ mile drive to view the boat in person. Also, up to this point I planned on getting the boat surveyed, but do you think that it is stupid to spend $600 to survey a $3500 boat when I could devote that money to a better/higher quality boat?

Point of clarification: when I said fit 3-4 people comfortably, I mean only for day sailing. At this point, I have no interest in sleeping on this boat. I am also open minded about a Dry Slip mast up but will definitely have to budget for it, which leaves me with less for the actual boat. Thanks again for all the responses.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook