SailNet Community - View Single Post - iPhone Sailing
Thread: iPhone Sailing
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012

Capt. Gary Randall is on a distinguished road
Re: iPhone Sailing

The technology is here why not use it. I have been using a computer for navigation professionally for the last 15 years loaded with GPS card it makes it very convenient to keep all your records on a computer I don't see why a phone would be any different.

Now I use a laptop with voice recognition as well as GPS included it makes perfect sense to just build smaller again. My newest system is a laptop loaded with my navigation program and keeping all of my waypoints on CD just recently the last three years I have been using Google Earth along with my other programs I can actually load the waypoints and make a trip to my destination before I ever leave Port. It is also very easily done to look at a entrance in foreign waters before I arrived to see where the shallow water is. I am very impressed with the technology of cell phone these days adding voice recognition would make it very easy to navigate with all hands on the wheel. My laptop can connect to the autopilot, gyrocompass, radar and etc. recording everything I do running it on a disk and saving it for later. I don't see why the same technology can not be adapted to a cell phone that operates off satellite completely in the near future. It will be a must for traveling to foreign ports eliminate the need to buy charts and to locate hazardous shoals that may not even be on the chart. I would be interested in knowing about your new application and maybe adding some input. The Google Earth can even be used to see who is ahead of you in that case you need to avoid piracy at sea. CaptG
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook