SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dinghy Sailing in New York City? Possible?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012

QueenElvis is on a distinguished road
Re: Dinghy Sailing in New York City? Possible?

Welcome to Brooklyn, assuming you make it. There's GREAT sailing out of Gateway Marina on Flatbush Avenue and you can beach-launch your dinghy from there. And a bus stops right at the door. Unfortunately for you, there's not much of a dinghy community there (but maybe I'll pull out my dink and sail with you).

You're always welcome to come aboard my Cape Dory 330 for a ride, and there's plenty of other guys and a couple of gals with sailboats, so you'd have lots of instant company.

I've been out on the water on the most gorgeous of sailing days, and found myself to be alone - even on a weekend! It never ceases to amaze me that the water is so neglected as a past-time in NYC. The sailing is great, the water is clean and you can't beat the views. What's better than sailing past the Statue of Liberty? Or past the Cylcones field on Friday evening when the fireworks go off?

If you make it down for a field trip before you commit to the move, get in touch. I'll be happy to show you around.

Malcolm
Big Orange Marine
Your Boat's Best Move
boat transportation for the Hudson Valley,
the northeast and the entire US
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook