SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dinghy Plans
Thread: Dinghy Plans
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road
Re: Dinghy Plans

The dinghy in my profile photo (up there at 11 o'clock) is an Eastport pram. You really can't sail it with two adults in it. It is very stable, and difficult to capsize. It rows nicely, but even alone, it doesn't sail all that well. Below 5 knots, or upwind, rowing is faster. Above 10 kts, you start taking water over the square prow (through the handhold), or over the lee gunwale (!!). In between, you're trying to sit in the bottom of the boat because your own body is shadowing the sail. If you try to carry the oars with you while you're sailing, they are in the way. If you try to carry the sailing rig with you while you're rowing, then *it* is in the way. I would consider it primarily a rowing dinghy for very sheltered water with a sail kit that you might use occasionally.

This said, I have had it out on the water during a small-craft warning (with short fetch so maybe 1'-2' waves), and I could still sail with never any danger of capsize, but it was a lot of work and I was constantly bailing.

I do like the looks of the spindrift.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook