remember - Cyclone season and most of us run south of Gladstone at the end of the year.
I'm planning to head from Mooloolaba to Cairns over December this year, and was wondering what the opinion is on weather conditions?
Specifically, will it take twice as long waiting for the runs of northerlies every week or so?
Have heard on the grape vine that the northerlies are speed killers over Oct-Nov, but what's the prevailing over December??? Would love to go next march but unfortunately limited by a job waiting for me...
Any help or advice is much appreciated!!!
Good luck and fair wind to all =)
Well, the further north you go, the better the chances for a sail as the wind will usually swing more around to the east and you are basically heading NW. If you need to be there, you can motorsail to get to an anchorage before it gets dark.
Alternatively, if you really need to be on a delivery trip, wait for a strong wind warning to start to ease and get out there and go for it, around the top of Fraser in 24 hrs, rest if need be in Muscrave lagoon, [if less than 15kn]. Next step to the Keppels, and then onto Brampton. Resup if needed at Airlie. Magnetic Is is ~24 from Airlie and Cairns is about 24 hrs from Maggie.
If you have time then you can day or 24 hr trip to a nice protected place and wait for the next break.
Keep us posted.