SailNet Community - View Single Post - Couples living aboard how goes the relationship
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Couples living aboard how goes the relationship

My wife and I have lived aboard with our dog Shamus since October 2010. We have a very close relationship and actually still miss each other daily after 16 years of marriage. We were fully matured independent adults when we met which I think allowed us to establish such a close relationship. We do not seek out our own space on our 40ft. boat. Instead we stay within arms reach of each other at most times. We share in the maintenance and cleaning of the boat. We both have our strengths and we accept that.

We do many activities off the boat too. Mountain biking, skiing, hiking, scuba diving, etc.

Our secret is love and respect. We are best friends and have eliminated the words never and always from our vocabulary. We can be brutally honest with each other any time we need to be.

Living aboard can be very difficult for some couples. Coastal cruising for at least 2 weeks will help you decide if you can do this.

Making sure you both agree up front on what features the boat should have and why. We thought we wanted a queen center berth but that invariably meant CC which neither of us wanted. Our pullman is quite adequate and there is even room for Shamus at our feet. I am 6'0" and my wife is 5'10".

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook