SailNet Community - View Single Post - Coastal Cruising Boat Selection Help
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Coastal Cruising Boat Selection Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Close Quarters View Post
The 5+ Year Plan - Extended trips from the Gulf Coast through the Keys, the Bahamas, the Exumas and the BVI's and back with my wife for 4-6 months at a time during the winter. Extended trips up the Tenn Tom Waterway during the summer.

Boats currently being considered:
  1. 1996 Hunter 29.5
  2. 1987 Island Packet 27
  3. 1983 Pearson 303

The Hunter appears to be a bit more conducive to accommodate larger groups of family & friends. But I am unsure if the Hunter is really the boat we want when it comes time to sail to the BVI's. I worry about the lack of back stays and the open sugar scoop. Of course the kids love the open sugar scoop and large cockpit. Also, this boat is at the higher end of our budget and would limit our ability to buy any additional toys such as a dink & kayaks. Bob
Trust me, when you are in the Caribbean you will LOVE the sugar scoop - they should be mandatory on boats there. We had to use a boarding ladder and it quickly became a pain because you are over the side so much. There is no downside to them that I am aware of. Although they LOOK exposed, they really aren't. There's no bigger cockpit drain if you take a lot of water on board.

The Bergstrom / Ridder rig used on the Hunters has been around for more than 35 years now so the lack of a standing backstay is no concern. Personally I don't care for the rig for a number of reasons but the strength or security of it is not among them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook