SailNet Community - View Single Post - Too hot to sail...
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Re: Too hot to sail...

I'm on vacation this week. The Admiral and I are re-reminded of why I stopped taking vacation around Independence Day. They go like this:

Day 1: Saturday, June 30

First day of a nine-day vacation/holiday. Good day to decompress. Plus there are heat advisories and the probability of severe storms. Not supposed to be any air, to speak of. It does get hot, but the humidity never gets all that bad, was perfect air for a gentle sail, and it never stormed.

We should've gone for it. We really should have... (you'll see why...)

Day 2: Sunday, July 1

Hotter than blazes. Humidity to high heavens. No air.

Day 3: Monday, July 2

See Day 2

Day 4: Tuesday, July 3.

See Days 2 & 3, plus severe storms, on-and-off, the entire day. Uh ohhh... A neighbour's tree fell--into our yard. Gonna have to do something about that.

Day 5: Wednesday, Jul 4 - Independence Day

See Days 2-4, plus scattered severe storms throughout the area. Thousands now without electricity. We spend the day with friends, in and around their pool all day. We did at least stop by and check on Abracadabra--make sure everything was ship-shape and her mooring was still solid.

Day 6: Thursday, July 5

See days 2-5. Just returned from pulling 16 km of wild grape vines out of the tree that was taken down (that's certainly what led to its demise), and cutting everything up into stackable bits--in 32C heat and steam bath humidity... in the sun. But, hey: I got to play with the Mighty Stihl Chain Saw

No. Flippin'. AIR.

Day 7: Friday, July 6

High temperatures predicted to break records. I don't know if it ended-up doing that, but I believe it did at least tie the old one. Wind barely hit 5 kts out on the lake, and was changing direction all day long.

I stayed home and cut the lawn.

Day 8: Saturday, July 7

Hey, it's only supposed to hit 95F today. Was like a steam bath out there this morning. Haven't ventured out since. Here's what I did, boat-related: Called up the local WM and had 'em set some stuff aside for me, did some rope work and cruised boating forums all day. Yay.

It's only 90F, now, and it looks like there's finally air out there! C'mon Sunday!

Lawn looks nice.

Day 9: Sunday, July 8

Hal-le-lu-jah! The heat, humidity, random and not-so-random rain and storms, and calm winds finally relented on this, the last day of my vacation. Partly-to-mostly sunny. Temps around 30C or so. Winds out of the north, slowly clocking to the northeast, started out around 10 kts, eventually increasing to 15. Perfect!

We brought along the son of one of my best friends. Young man took a Jr. Sailing course a few years ago, and, this year, was anxious to get on a sailboat again. He had a good time. We had a good time. It was terrific out there today .

Today was such a great sail, I don't even care about having gotten skunked for the other eight. I'll take what I can get, and be thankful for it.

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 07-08-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook