SailNet Community - View Single Post - I think I may do some racing!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: I think I may do some racing!!!

Definitely a cruising class is a good place to start. It wouldn't hurt to get a ride as crew on a more experienced boat for a couple of races so you know what to expect. Ideally on a boat in the same division as your boat.

I don't agree that you should let someone else drive your boat for you. If you find someone experienced to go with you, it is good to have them deal with trim and tactics so that you can concentrate on steering. The start line can be very intimidating, but when you are just starting out, just deal with the second row starts and stay out of the fray! You can get more aggressive as your experience builds.

You will need to pick out the biggest headsail that you think you will use and have it measured along with your mainsail. They will need that info for your rating.

You DON'T have to be a member of a yacht club to race, unless it is a members only race run by a club. Most beer can racing is open to all comers.

You will do fine! As long as your competitors know you are a newbie they will likely cut you some slack, particularly in a No Flying Sails division, since not many serious racers would be there.

Good Luck!

p.s. You should definitely get on those sail trim pics you were going to post for us so we can help get you up to speed!
Hull#101

Last edited by SchockT; 07-06-2012 at 02:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook