SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trailer Reg in California
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailer Reg in California

"Have the state of Oregon write an official letter saying the boat has never been registered or titled in Oregon" and how would the state of Oregon know this since the trailer has no vin number? They have no way of tracing it other than the owners name and even then maybe it was registered under a previous owners name. Egads, bureaucrats never cease to amaze me. I faced a similar situation when I purchased our boat and trailer. Both were never titled or registered and to top it off I purchased them in New York and live in Tennessee. Thankfully we have some common sense people in the DMV here. I provided them the bill of sale (notarized) and a big check for taxes and fees. They gave be back some papers and a metal plate. Deal was done. Prior to this I had done many hours of research on the net concerning the laws and procedure to register and title the items. I suggest you research it, find the applicable code covering registering and obtaining a title , make a copy then when you try again ask the clerk if this (referring to the law you found that favors you) is applicable. Ask them, never tell them.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook