SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sydney to Brazil for the World Cup
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012
Eyeing off horizons

meridiansahoy is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Sydney to Brazil for the World Cup

G'day Folks,

This is my first post on Sailnet so go easy. I've been sailing for long enough to know that preparation and planning are conducive to a great day / year out on the water. That in mind I'd like to get a bit of feedback on a very rough plan to start of our circumnavigation. We've got nothing but a tight budget and big dreams at this stage, and I'm looking out for a ocean tested low priced Kelly Peterson 44/46, or a an Adams 12/13 (for those in the northern hemisphere who have never heard of this design they are 40-ish ft Racer Cruiser designed by Australian Joe Adams).

My original plan was to head on up the Suez and follow the trade wind milk run like most (used to) do. Then I got to reading the ISAF guidelines on piracy and its had the intended affect on my planning, in short if it was just me I'd take it on, but with my lovely lady to think about I don't want the 300NM of paranoia that would no doubt accompany that route.

So, here's the idea as it stands. Starting in April 2013 and reaching Rio de Janeiro by June 2014:

FromToDistance (NM)Time (Days)

SydneyBrisbane4134

Brisbane Cape York123912

Cape YorkDarwin7397

DarwinTimor4294

TimorBali6376

BaliSingapore9199

SingaporePhuket5215

PhuketSri Lanka108211

Sri LankaMaldives5656

MaldivesMauritius151315

MauritiusMadagascar6707

MadagascarDurban8519

DurbanCape Town7608

Cape TownSt Helena175618

St HelenaRio De Janeiro209421

I have a fair bit of research to do to make sure that all these legs are doable in the time frames to avoid typhoon seasons and catch the right monsoons to get us around the Cape of Good Hope.

Am I mad? Are we going be going too fast to enjoy it? What are the "Biggies" as far as weather patterns / timing to avoid on this route? Does anyone go into the Seychelles these days from the east?

Would be great to get feedback from anyone who has rounded the Cape or done anything similar at the budget end of a forty footer.

Cheers!
Hugh
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook