SailNet Community - View Single Post - Solid/Bluewater Center Cockpit with modern interior?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Solid/Bluewater Center Cockpit with modern interior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCutterRig View Post
We've decided on a CC (and please, no arguments of CC vs. AC or recommendations of boats that are not CC monohulls) in the 41-46 foot range. One requirement is that the boat have decent passage berths - an attribute that is strangely hard to find. Another, and this is something that both the SO and I agree on, is a modern, sleek interior.
Somewhat to my surprise I bought a CC boat. I fully expected to purchase an AC but my other requirements drove me to a CC and now I could not be happier.

If you expect to spend any time in slips (US terminology) I fully agree with your size range (mine was 38' - 43'). The price goes up and importantly the availability goes down. If there is nowhere you fit available it doesn't make any difference how much the slip costs.

That said I think the requirement for "decent passage berths" is overstated. On my HR 40 I chose a pair of armchairs to port in lieu of the standard settee. Many of my acquaintances insisted I was making a huge mistake. Now they come aboard and make a beeline for the chairs; I make them sit on the settee. *grin*

Seriously, with a crew of four (including me) we have no issues offshore. There is a settee to starboard with a lee cloth, a nice space on the floor between the chairs and the table (I have a roll-up pad for that spot), the walkthrough by the engine (another pad), and the aft centre queen with lee cloths. In calm weather the v-berth is lovely. The key to making that work is heads at the base of the companionway so people aren't stepping over each other. Heads in that location also reduces dragging water aboard when things get sporting.

Quote:
[B]Contrary to prevailing taste, we tend to like the "european apartment style" look employed by Dehler and Hanse
I looked at the Hanse 445. My interpretation of your desires is light woods and lots of white. Simple, elegant fixtures. Is that correct? I think my taste is more classic than yours, but I still selected a very light fabric for the furniture on Auspicious. That means mahogany over a dark cream color instead of white over something darker. The mahogany is certainly a bit darker than the much lighter colors Hanse tends to use for woodwork.

If you're going to buy new I'd look at the HR43 and get a broker to get a set of the fabric choices and see if some choice really speaks to you.

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a CC boat in this size range that offers such an interior? This is an "all things being equal" type of question. It goes without saying that the boat needs to be seakindly and beefy. I'd prefer a sharper bow entry as opposed to the flatter bottoms we're seeing these days. It'd also be great to have the option for a cutter/dual headsail rig.
Agreed. Don't give up on the cutter, particularly with a removable inner forestay. Outstanding flexibility inshore and offshore.

Quote:
Also, both cost and sheer size come into play here. We'd like to keep the price below seven figures if possible and the size under 46.
Right. I had the same problem. Swan, Oyster, Hylas, Moody - so many builders simply didn't make anything small enough.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 07-07-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook