SailNet Community - View Single Post - Privilege 45 for offshore cruising?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012
Moody 46

orthomartin is on a distinguished road
Re: Privilege 45 for offshore cruising?

We sailed our mono (Moody 46) about 27,000nm from 2008 to summer 2011. We changed to a Lagoon 440 last summer and have put about 3,800nm on her including 1,500nm to weather.
I looked at the Privilege and they are nice well built boats. In terms of being an "offshore" boat people read way too much into that. These production cats are all built a bit on the cheap side but are all worthy of crossing oceans, in fact they all do. Passagemaking is more about how you manage the weather and seas, i.e., how you sail. The boat will rarely be the weak link. This, all assuming you are not sailing high latitudes, that's a different animal (and boat).

Every boat of course has pro/con. I like the Lagoon for the inside vis as at night and in bad weather I am comfortable inside (we have a steering and nav station inside). No different from being in the pilot house of a motor vessel other then I have to go out every few hours to check sail/rig for any issue. The high boom is pretty much a non-issue and allows for great sailing from the viewpoint of the flybridge. I love it!

Bottom line, if you found a Privilege you like for the right price buy it. For live-aboard the cat's are very hard to beat. The Privilege is a bit more expensive then many but the wood-work shows it. Other production cats in that size to look at are the Lagoons, Leopards (Robertson and Caine), and the Anteries (or older PDQ), and Manta's. Avoid those out of charter unless you are prepared to do a major re-fit.

Any of these cats (assuming you have done survey etc.) will take you around the globe via the normal trade wind routes safer and faster then most cruising mono's, and you will be the one not rolling at anchor!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook