SailNet Community - View Single Post - scheduled Gulf Stream crossings?
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 07-07-2012 Thread Starter
Advocate777

scheduled Gulf Stream crossings?

Question for the more experienced sailors:

There is a ASA sailing school based out of Ft. Lauderdale (and other places) that I am interested in doing some ASA 103, etc. that combines several certifications in a week-long cruise to the bahamas. I am looking over the schedule and want to take the course(s) this November.
But how can a school keep a schedule firm when I thought that to cross the Gulf Stream the prudent sailor must wait for a weather window to avoid strong north winds. But the sailing school schedule looks set in stone regardless. Anyone have input on resolving this seeming contradiction- the school must know what they are doing, right? I think this school is highly rated but I am confused about the calendar schedule Gulf Stream crossing which does not mention if the conditions are not right. I have read of prudent sailors waiting days or weeks for a favorable crossing. How can a sailing school keep a tight schedule to get students across and back whilst dealing with the Gulf Stream?

Chesapeake Bay area

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome