SailNet Community - View Single Post - Green card...
Thread: Green card...
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road
Re: Green card...

Keeping in mind my limited experience:

My understanding is that, if you will be working here, you need a work visa – not easy to get. If you are conducting business here (talking to U.S. customers, holding business meetings, etc.) you will need a business visa (B1). Otherwise, if you are only conducting business with the U.K. you can get away with a B2. Does holding a video conference from your boat constitute “conducting business here”? I would guess it does if one of the parties was a U.S. customer or business associate. That your company sells products in the U.S. would seem to be irrelevant unless you were making contact with the customer or conducting the sale directly. The problem is that the distinctions were made pre-web so there may now be things that could be interpreted either way.

Unless you are just going to try to fly under the radar, I really think you need professional advise but, unless things have changed, don’t expect to get that advise from the U.S. Embassy. When I first came here I had some concerns about the visa that the sponsoring company was applying for. All I could get from the embassy was something to the effect “if the visa is appropriate to the circumstances, then it is legal”. They will not give you an opinion – they will only review what you are applying for and decide if they feel that it is appropriate.

Incidentally, there is also a combined B1/B2 for mixing business and pleasure (e.g. coming for a business purpose but staying on for a while to soak up the sun).

However you approach it, you need to be sure that you have the documentation to validate what you are saying.

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook