SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crewed Charter Ownership
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012
Reforming Stinkpotter

captainjay is on a distinguished road
Re: Crewed Charter Ownership

The 100 ton license is required because even though it starts and ends in the US the government classifies it as an international voyage since you are visiting a foreign country.
The SCTW 95 is required by the BVI government. They also seem to be hell bent on requiring some kind of BVI license at some point for even US flagged boats. Likely illegal but who wants to go to court and fight them. They also continue to require different and or more safety gear than the US. Life rafts, MOB poles, etc even on uninspected boats.
When I stated ten grand that's the haul out, paint, three to four months storage, buff, wax, incidentals, lay days for work you are going to do etc. If you choose to run from the hurricane zone, Grenada etc you can lower that cost but you have to put in the time and wear and tear of that. The more of the yard work you are willing and able to do will lower that number but don't kid yourself going in it's a lot of money any way you slice it.
Yes we do have a few captains that have and do book a few weeks a year and do charters on our boats. It actually not a bad way to test drive the business.
Frankly if you can find a current owner willing to work out a partnership that would be a reasonable way to go. I would want a full survey, determine a baseline condition, necassary upgrades for the crewed trade, future upgrades and a funding source for all of these. In additon I would want a written contract with the owner. The devil is in the details, like most partnerships, things like equity, personal use for both parties, maintenance costs, disaster plan for both repairs and accidents, etc can and will make or break that kind of deal.
Jay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by captainjay; 07-07-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook