SailNet Community - View Single Post - Refurbish or scrap?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012
Total Sailing Novice

Brigala is on a distinguished road
Re: Refurbish or scrap?

Just an update... we spent the day scrubbing out the inside of the boat. It came clean relatively easily considering how much grime was in there. Looking rather nice! And it gave us a chance to really get in there and look at every little detail.

We were only able to identify one (and only one) structural problem which needs to be addressed. I would love some advice for where to turn for repair information on this; it's major enough that we want to make sure we get it right. The boat has a tabernacle system for the mast. That part is fine. But inside the cabin the the support post that stands directly under the mast was fitted with an aluminum part which has completely corroded away. That, in turn, caused the top 1/2 inch or so of the support post to partially rot out. The post is made up of more than one piece of teak and I'm not quite sure what's under it. Before we pull the whole post out of there we'd like to have some idea of what the structure is like. Where can we find out about how these support posts are made, whether we need to replace the whole thing or whether we can just cut off the top inch or so and put in some kind of spacer (and if so, how), etc.. I would like to pull the whole post out if we can in order to make sure we don't have a similar problem below the floor where we can't see it, though there are no signs of soft spots or anything.

We also have some concerns about the condition of the keel bolts, but I think we probably know how to address those.
~*~ Complete and total newbie looking for a first boat ~*~ Advice Welcome ~*~ Miniature Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ Will trade my knowledge of shepherding or car seats for your knowledge of sailing! Just ask!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~*~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook