Old 07-07-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by meridiansahoy:893921
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_hunter View Post
Endeavour E43K or Island Packet ip465.
Cheers, I've seen a few of these ip465s around the place, but way out of my price range and doesn't have my taste in romantic appeal.

I've read a few reviews saying the windward performance of the Endeavour 43s aren't great, anyone heard otherwise?
That's not completely true. Some of it depends on sail configuration and some on steering load. They have a significant weather helm and with a minimally sufficient Edson pulley system it's difficult to overcome. We replaced the Edson with a Capilano hydraulic system compensating for the weather helm. Ours points well and is easier to handle with the new hydraulics. Keep in mind that the E43 has a relatively shallow draft, the same as a ip465 at 6' so there is some drift but is easy compensated by keeping her as vertical as possible. Having a 14' beam she's somewhat uncomfortable in a following sea and it's sometimes better tack your way out, or adjusting course to put it on the quarters. One thing is for sure, if you desire a CC with over 6' of headroom you're going have to let go of something else because all of those boats have similar sailing characteristics. The Endeavour E43 is similar to the ip465 in many ways as they are both designed by Bob Johnson albeit 30 years apart, yet can be purchased at a fraction of the cost. The are so many thing we like about ours we've come to overlook her few shortfalls and that is the way it is tonight. Good luck in your search and education.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook