SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opinions on anchor swivels
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Opinions on anchor swivels

I use an anchor swivel on my all chain rode to allow the anchor to swivel itself around and seat itself properly on the bow roller. The swivel also allows it to turn from side to side.

We were anchored in a cove on Friday when a line of intense storms extending some 200 miles moved across the Chesapeake. The weather service had a name for this storm. It was called a derecho. It was, thankfully, quite rare. It was easily the most intense storm I have ever ridden out on the waters. The NOAA weather radio reported the storm had a history of producing wind gusts between 60 and 80 mph! My boat is a heavy, full keeled boat weighing in around 18,500 lbs. when the storm hit, it hit with a huge blast of air from the starboard beam, healing us over and putting the rail in the water until the boat rounded up and faced into the wind. We spent the next 2-1/2 hours thrashing about from one side to the other at anchor. The anchor held marvelously and did not drag at all. It was VERY well dug in the next morning and was hard to pull up. There was NO damage to the swivel or any shackles connecting my chain to the anchor. I would, based on that experience, have no trouble recommending the use of a robustly built 3 way action, swivel on your rode.

Tod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook