SailNet Community - View Single Post - Edel 665 ...crack in deck / ceiling
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: Edel 665 ...crack in deck / ceiling

Whoa there. If those nuts are the ones holding that shrould mount and it looks as if they are, then you have a boat with a SERIOUS structural failure.

As well as fixing the visible evidence and that will need more than a bit of filler plus a glued on handrail, you need to investigate the other side as well.

Also from Sailingdog

It has a partially cored hull IIRC, and you need to make sure that water hasn't gotten in and caused any delamination. I don't believe the core in the hull will rot as I believe it is PVC-based foam.

The cross beams that connect the hulls to the bridgedeck are aluminum.

Corrosion is going to be a problem at the fasteners, since I believe the fasteners are stainless steel. I personally prefer cats that have the hull molded as a single piece... but that's just me.

The forestay connects to crossbeam that is also supported by a "dolphin striker" and that needs to be in good shape, otherwise the forestay support can fail.

Rudder shafts on this boat were aluminum originally. I believe the bearings were bronze... this is a galvanic corrosion problem in many cases, and should be checked closely.

I believe the deck is also cored, and needs to be checked for any signs of water intrusion or delamination.

Also, I believe the cabin soles are fiberglass and plywood, so you may want to check the sole for any water intrusion that may have rotted the plywood. I don't believe the plywood was fully encapsulated in fiberglass on these boats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook