SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can I Take It Into The Ocean?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012
Newbie Member

OldSteveH is on a distinguished road
Re: Can I Take It Into The Ocean?

Jimmy D there is a lot more to whether a boat is suitable for coastal sailing than just the engine. Your 8hp inboard is likely suitable for the boat, so the real question becomes - is the boat suitable for the kind of sailing you want to do? Starting the engine should be your last tactic not your first. Hence how the boat handles in bigger seas and strong winds, how easily can you shorten sail, can the helm be balanced, do you have the necessary safety gear.

I don't know Hunter 25s but my guess is its probably fine for coastal sailing so long as your own skills are suitable, and you understand the limits of both yourself and the boat. Regional knowledge is really important. You can go out and have a great day or a bad day depending on how you plan for weather and if you know the typical patterns eg shore effects on wind, local currents, wave fetches, etc.

Long and short, the engine is not the issue. Will it have enough power if you get into trouble in open water? For many years I sailed a 24 ft boat with a 9.9 Merc outboard. We did some crazy things in that boat and got into lots of trouble (and lived to tell about it). An inboard is more efficient than an outboard. 8hp should be plenty for that boat.

Cheers,

OldSteveH
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook