SailNet Community - View Single Post - Too hot to sail...
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Too hot to sail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
Gary, I'm wondering if a car type A/C system relies on having a tight cooling envelope in that in a car all the windows close much more tightly than drop boards would. Aside from that, I can't see a reason it wouldn't work.

As an aside, could you add a generator rig onto your engine to provide 120v to power your existing A/C system?
For summertime, my hatch boards are replaced with a couple doors with removable Lexan windows and screens. The rest of the boat is fairly air-tight, so I guess a quality air-conditioner, one big enough for a van, would do a good job.

I have a generator at home, but it's an 8,000-watt monster that weighs a ton and is very noisy. The boat's engine is a Universal Atomic-4 gasoline that is really quiet, and I can open two back hatches that would vent the entire engine compartment so the engine heat wouldn't be trapped and heat the cabin. I think the installation would, however, be cost prohibitive unless you did it yourself. I would install it if I were 20 years younger, but I'm too old and fat to crawl into the engine compartment.

Cheers,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook