SailNet Community - View Single Post - Too hot to sail...
View Single Post
post #40 of Old 07-08-2012 Thread Starter
travlineasy
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

Re: Too hot to sail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
Gary, I'm wondering if a car type A/C system relies on having a tight cooling envelope in that in a car all the windows close much more tightly than drop boards would. Aside from that, I can't see a reason it wouldn't work.

As an aside, could you add a generator rig onto your engine to provide 120v to power your existing A/C system?
For summertime, my hatch boards are replaced with a couple doors with removable Lexan windows and screens. The rest of the boat is fairly air-tight, so I guess a quality air-conditioner, one big enough for a van, would do a good job.

I have a generator at home, but it's an 8,000-watt monster that weighs a ton and is very noisy. The boat's engine is a Universal Atomic-4 gasoline that is really quiet, and I can open two back hatches that would vent the entire engine compartment so the engine heat wouldn't be trapped and heat the cabin. I think the installation would, however, be cost prohibitive unless you did it yourself. I would install it if I were 20 years younger, but I'm too old and fat to crawl into the engine compartment.

Cheers,

Gary
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome