SailNet Community - View Single Post - scheduled Gulf Stream crossings?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012
Moody 46

orthomartin is on a distinguished road
Re: scheduled Gulf Stream crossings?

I had my wife take the ASA 101,2,and4 in Ft Lauderdale in 2007. It was a total waste of money, sorry. Perhaps the 103 is better

In terms of the GS odds are well in your favor. Honestly people make way too much of the "Gulf Stream". 90% of the time passing through it you don't even know other than some corse correction and with auto helm set to course you don't even do that. Typically the only time it is an issue is with sig. north wind.

I have crossed twice with north wind and with seas one time 16-20' and the other with seas 12-14' Both times were uncomfortable but never unsafe. Good news is it only takes a small part of the day to get through and then the wave periods lengthen out again.

Also for training purposes you should hope for some strong conditions, after all you are out there to learn and no better way then to have some exposure. If conditions east are too strong they will likely do the offshore south toward Key West

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook