SailNet Community - View Single Post - Too hot to sail...
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
Re: Too hot to sail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
For summertime, my hatch boards are replaced with a couple doors with removable Lexan windows and screens. The rest of the boat is fairly air-tight, so I guess a quality air-conditioner, one big enough for a van, would do a good job.

I have a generator at home, but it's an 8,000-watt monster that weighs a ton and is very noisy. The boat's engine is a Universal Atomic-4 gasoline that is really quiet, and I can open two back hatches that would vent the entire engine compartment so the engine heat wouldn't be trapped and heat the cabin. I think the installation would, however, be cost prohibitive unless you did it yourself. I would install it if I were 20 years younger, but I'm too old and fat to crawl into the engine compartment.

Cheers,

Gary

Aren't you going to have to go into the engine compartment to attach an auto a/c compressor onto the A4?

I was just thinking..... the engines that power modern day vans are probably 200+ horsepower. Will the 30hp Atomic have enough spare hp to run the compressor? I would think so if that's all it has to do, but just thought I'd raise it up.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook