SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can I Take It Into The Ocean?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Can I Take It Into The Ocean?

Jimmy, I have been on a Pearson-26 with a 9.9hp outboard, at full throttle and with full 150 genoa and main up, making zero forward progress in the water. This was not at sea but simply trying to enter the East River at the Hell Gate when circumstances forced a late departure into a contrary current, maybe 6 knots against us.

So when your friends say you don't have enough power...given a 2-3 knot current from the Gulf Stream or other flows, given adverse wind and wave action, sure, you might be reduced to a one or two knot crawl, under full power, or even less.

But that's the way of boats, sailing is usually not a "brute force conquers" sport. More importantly, if you don't know what the boat can do, and you don't know what conditions you may encounter, then I would say power doesn't matter, you're going someplace you shouldn't be. Yet.

Take some daysails out in progressively worse weather, get to know the boat and the open water, and you certainly can work up to it. Within the limits of the boat and crew.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook