SailNet Community - View Single Post - Refurbish or scrap?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012
Total Sailing Novice

Brigala is on a distinguished road
Re: Refurbish or scrap?

Thanks for the input! The boat is a 1970, so yeah it's pretty old.

We have been going back and forth on whether to do an inboard engine or not. If we do, it will absolutely be a diesel. The entire inboard and all its related hardware (except the gas tank, which we're planning to go ahead and use for the outboard) have been removed. We found an entire diesel replacement for the Atomic 4 for sale off another Newport that's being parted out, and it's pretty tempting. I don't know that we'll ever really go offshore, though, so it may be overkill for us. Most likely we will sail up and down the Columbia River, and may trailer up to Puget Sound or down to San Francisco once in a while. While I dream of sailing to Hawaii someday, it probably won't be on this boat.

Unrelated to the drive train... maybe someone here can help solve this puzzle: Under the cockpit there is a freshwater tank attached to the galley sink. We absolutely cannot find the input for filling up the tank. There appears to only be one hose, and that goes to the faucet. There's a plug on the top of the tank and we can fit a hose to it and run it somewhere, but the tank is NOT easily accessible and it's hard to believe it was originally meant to be filled through that plug. Are we missing something obvious here?
~*~ Complete and total newbie looking for a first boat ~*~ Advice Welcome ~*~ Miniature Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ Will trade my knowledge of shepherding or car seats for your knowledge of sailing! Just ask!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~*~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook