Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
Join Date: May 2006
Thanked 124 Times in 112 Posts
Rep Power: 12
Re: Offshore Checklist
Thought I had replied to your message but somehow it did not get posted. Perhaps this should be in the general or cruising sections since seamanship seems to get ignored (here and in real life!).
A few comments came to mind. There is not something called 'offshore' since there are variations on the theme. The preps I will make to go to Indonesia in a few weeks (430 nm at around 10°S) are quite different than will be the case when we go from Bali to Mauritius (3000 nm and getting down to around 30°S. For the latter I will have the trysail and a staysail ready to go (it is not much larger than the storm jib) on deck but these will be in the locker for the Indonesia crossing as the biggest problem is likely too little wind. Tropical sun is very hard on everything so why add to the wear and tear. Same thoughts about the sea anchor. We have not used sea anchor, trysail, or storm jib yet, but can if needed, but don't have them on deck.
Other thoughts - you will be in and out of cabin constantly in 90%+ of the conditions you will get so you don't really need to have everything on deck and seal away the interior. Take stuff in and out as you need.
Not sure what you mean by anchor stowed? You do not want to have it inaccessible, especially if you are going to be anchoring where you are going. Conditions outside that anchorage likely will make it very hard.impossible to rig the anchor while it may be too crowded to do so in the anchorage. Our main anchor lives on the roller and is tied down well there.
I would not be happy having the floorboards screwed down since you may have to go under them for routine or emergency reasons. We have a shock cord system that keeps them under control but still removable. BTW, when we were knocked down, the boards were not tied down and did not move. Will have them tied down going to South Africa though.
Not sure what the pail is for? Strikes me as just something else to get in the way.
After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.