SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1978 Pearson 30 - broken topping lift
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 07-09-2012
SEMIJim

Re: 1978 Pearson 30 - broken topping lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmusante View Post
1. Is the topping lift a custom-built part or is there a vendor (somewhere?) that sells one off the shelf?
It's just some (relatively light) wire with some hardware at each end. Nothing overly sophisticated about it.

Quote:
2. Assuming I can find a new topping lift (or have one made?):
Is this something that I can replace myself or should I have the marina service guys do the work? I have a boson's chair - I might be able to persuade a couple of good friends lift me up to the top of the mast so that I could replace the topping lift?
Unfortunately, I do not recall how it's attached at the masthead. I'd go up and take a look, then decide. If I was on vacation, I'd take this as an excuse to go up and look for you. Alas: Vacation's over

I seem to recall a thimble. I'm guessing the wire's crimped around a thimble and there's a clevis pin up there or something. Sorry: That's the best I can do, short of going up Abracadabra's mast.

FWIW: I would never pay a yard $400 for such a job.

Quote:
3. Is there an upgrade to the original design?
Like I said: It's a simple thing. I'm sure it could be upgraded in many ways, but I can think of few that would make a lot of sense. Ours has a small 2:1 set of blocks on the end, with a built-in clam cleat, which allows us to leave it attached when the sail's up, then haul it up higher when the main's down.

Jim
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome