View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Trimming "Zero"- Poplar Island Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
Poor pit guy/gal. It's not their issue. Why isn't someone jumping the halyard at the mast? It's their job to both jump and call it made. The pit should only be tailing whatever's going up and adjusting tension to jib and main halyards. In really light air, having your kite a foot short of a full hoist isn't a bad thing at all.

Soooo, if it's super light a la almost no wind at all, you can hoist a very light spin sometimes and be able to sail just about as high and effectively as a light #1.. Of course, a drifter is the weapon of choice if you have one.
My mast and pit are the same position.

I don't have the usual "keyboard" of line clutches arrayed around the companionway, with secondary winches. All halyards, pole lift, clutches and cleats are at the mast.

I realize that this isn't conventional, but I'm modeling it after a successful J35 that I sailed on. I've already got too many people in the cockpit, and this gets at least one person out from underfoot.

The mast/pit man did jump the halyard, he just failed to raise it fully. He has mast winches and Spinlock clutches at his disposal to get the job done.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook