SailNet Community - View Single Post - Diving from a PSC 34?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012

MarcHall is on a distinguished road
Re: Diving from a PSC 34?

I have made few hundred dives from my Crealock 37 Crazy Fish, both in Southern California and Pacific Mexico.

I have always anchored or moored the boat in a safe anchorage and then used my inflatable to access the dive sites. Most of the dive sites I have dived are sites where I probably would not want to anchor and/or anchor and leave the boat unattended. The inflatable is another story, I have left it anchored and unattended in some interesting spots with good diving over the side.

So in looking at a new boat I would not factor in the ease of diving off of it, I simply would not do that, preferring to dive off an inflatable.

In the past I have carried a few tanks on the boat, I believe up to 8 on one 2 week trip to Santa Cruz Island. I now have a Bauer Junior compressor which on trips where I would use it lives in teak/fiberglass box mounted just forward of the mast. Vision forward from the cockpit is impacted but after evaulating the options seemed to be the best location. When not in use the box and compressor come off the boat. On most trips I carry just 2 low pressure steel tanks. The compressor is run by 5.5 HP Honda 4 stroke gasoline motor. For the compressor intake I have about 20 feet of corrugated plastic hose which I haul up the mast with halyard. Normally fill the tanks when there is a breeze blowing so that the Honda exhaust is carried away from the compressor intake.

The inflatable used to be an 11 foot Avon Roll-up with a floor consisting of interlocking plastic slats which worked fairly well but after 14-15 years the boat just seemed to keep developing leaks so once recently replaced with a 12 foot Achilies with a Hypalon inflatable floor. Both boats are powered by the same 15 HP 2stroke Mercury outboard which has performed well. The boat/engine combination can easily get 2 divers with tanks and gear up on a plane. The Achilles perhaps works a little bit better with the addintional length. Both can be unrolled on the forward deck, partially inflated and then layed across the lifelines and fully inflated and then dumped into the ocean.
On the inside of the bow of each boat I added tow rings and use them to lash down the tanks using wraps on the valves so that the tanks stay in place forward while underway.

Regards

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish, Crealock 37, Hull 207
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook