SailNet Community - View Single Post - Premature impeller failure cause
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Premature impeller failure cause

I repowered my Cape Dory MS 300 back in the winter of 2008-2009. At the end of the first season going from a Westerbeke 46 to a Westerbeke 55. Had an impeller failure at the end of the summer in 2009. The blades of the failed impeller were fine, but the brass fitting/bushing and key pin had delaminated from the rubber bushing. This happend with about 100 hours on the engine.

Last week upon starting the engine I noticed that the burbs of water from the exhaust were much less frequent than normal (15 to 30 sec intervals vs the normal 5 to 8 sec). Turned out that the impeller agained failed in the same manner. It was probably still spinning somewhat providing a little water to the pump and exhaust.

The first impeller was branded as a Westerbeke, the second as a Johnson. Don't know if they are made by the same manufacturer or not. Any thoughts on what the cause may be? My mechanic thinks it could be that the thru-hull and seacock fitting might be undersized for the new engine. I think the thru hull is 3/4" with a 5/8" hose fitting. I looked through the engine manual and installation guide and didn't see a a minimum size for the thru hull. I'm going to call Westerbeke and or Hansen Marine (the Westerbeke dealer) also to see what they think.

Sort of an aside, but I was surprised that the impeller for the new 55 hp engine was much smaller than the one on the old 46 hp. Any ideas will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook